Skip to main content

Scout on Choosing Right/Flowers in the Other Room

  

            The sweet smell of chrysanthemums and lilies drew stale as they sat alone in dark rooms. You could hear the light tapping of the petals as they hit the table below them, alone like the person who purchased them for half price on a gloomy Sunday afternoon. Their seeds plop below into the salty water that loses its sweetness as the sugar escapes into the air for survival. Despite the scents and sounds of the bouquets, I only know they sit in the other room when the air is bitter and silent. When I hear my mother’s footsteps pacing as she waits for her brother’s call, for an escape from the life she rushed to choose. When I hear my father’s clacking, forever ungrateful to the sacrifices of my mother, pouring whatever is left of himself in the work that gives nothing in return. And as one enters a room, the other exits and I sit watching the petals fall. They curl and wither with every second of silence, whispering about the freedoms both of my parents have lost because of the other. They curse at them silently, embodying every regret and complaint that has never been expressed. How can they repair something that was never in one piece, but always two? How can they make my mother pretend that my father wants her? How can they make my father pretend that he cares?

            I ask myself, what are they but a way to convince me that they care for each other? Every bouquet becomes more invisible than the next, each time my mother pushes them farther away from her room, farther away from her heart. On lonely mornings I look at them sitting, being punished for being purchased by the wrong person, being entered into the wrong house. Sometimes I wish I was a bouquet, being bought by a different person so I can finally see what love is. When I muster the courage to look past their shortcomings, I ask them about who I should choose. It hurts even more that they know what they want; I stare into their eyes as they light up describing the person they wanted but never had. The person they did not wait to find because they hurried to check off the grocery list of life. They always slip an insult or backhanded comment, and the monster in my heart is unleashed as I remember my contempt towards them, as I realize that they may be good parents, but I may never know if they are good people.

            A few days pass, and I trim the flowers and replace the salty water with its sweeter counterpart. My mother will ask about them occasionally but won’t pay them a glance. She is too busy, she always says, to change their water herself. I can take care of them, I say, like I can take care of myself. Run away, I tell her, knowing she must as a person but wishing she wouldn’t as her daughter. On bright mornings, the flowers lift their heads to the sun and keep their petals attached, as if to trick me into thinking they will last. It hurts even more the next day when they die completely, and I am left to clean up the remnants. But what hurts the most is when I realize that I am the only one who noticed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scout on Addiction/Smarties

  Candy wrappers slathered onto wooden tables and chip bags’ potent smells wafted through the air and around the stickiness of all the junk food you could ever imagine. No child knew it then, but those chemicals kept them high. Maybe it was on sugar, possibly on one of the countless chemicals under the nutritional information listings with names none of us could read. Either way, it lifted those of us who couldn’t rely on anything else, who kept that smile plastered on our faces from eight to three. A quarter of an hour after that injection, that wrinkling of the wrappers, the crushing of the Smarties, we were free from everything.             We only needed it more the older we got, but eventually, it wasn’t strong enough; we needed something new, something stronger. A few sniffs couldn’t hurt, right? Just like those powdered Smarties, except much more expensive. I almost couldn’t feel myself after it, and all I could remember during it was those Smarties from all the years before.

What is Identity?/Ms. Jenkins

“I’m not sure.” The words echoed in my mind well after they were spoken, free from the clutter that gave weight or value to my thoughts. I hadn’t heard the question, but I knew the answer was buried somewhere, shoved in a closet with my dirty clothes, begging to be remembered. My knowledge became dormant and stiff, stinking the conscience so easily drowned by a perfect appearance. “Are you listening to me? What’s the answer?” The curved lines of a surprisingly perfect drawing connected as I glanced up at the teacher. At least a dozen people were raising their hands, but she had chosen me. After all, one silent person is more significant than a thousand laughs to a comedian. The demand for perfection and absolute attention controls even those so far in their life and careers; I can’t dare be the one to question that impartiality. What is identity? the board read. How dare she ask a question she doesn’t have the answer for? I watch her pretend to be content every class, preten

Scout on Systems/Take Flight Part 2

  The second one was placed on my path home. The dirt road was crowded with leaves and weeds, and this time it was a bright yellow bird that was placed perfectly on its side. A piece of paper was tied around its neck. I didn’t want to read it, but I was too afraid of what could happen if I wasn’t aware of it. After all, no one fears the dark, they fear what could be in it. I pulled the string delicately away from its hollow body. The beige cutout fell into the bushes, and I scrambled to grab it. I brought it close to my face, savoring the moment of mystery. It read: One strike left. Leave your Verse . They knew I wouldn’t listen. Even as the bird’s blinding feathers shuffled through the wind and my shoes sunk in the mud, I was grounded. Even as the clouds wept for me, my eyes saw so clearly ahead. I walked through the empty trails that were so little visited as the Hands ran home to bend over and complete mundane work. I wondered; did they ever feel the dirt under them instead of c