Skip to main content

Scout on Wasted Potential

Where does it go?

For years I sit and wonder where it has traveled

To what ends has it walked

In what oceans has it swam

What blood has it watched drip into streets

With nothing but a tear

In acknowledgement

The potential

That I was congratulated for

Told I was superior

Told I was meant

For something greater

But the definition of greatness

Is chosen by them

Without fail, it is and always will be

Money…

Their definition

That decides what humanity is

That decide who

Deserves humanity

That decides who is human

Their definition

That decides what intelligence is

That decide who

Can be intelligent

That decides who is intelligent

Their definition

That decides what success is

That decide where

Success must be achieved

That decides who is successful

Their system

That keeps you

Sitting…

Silent…

Scared…

But never

Successful

Their system

That pushes you

Slowly

From your path

To theirs

Their system

That gets you to tell yourself

That somewhere, down the road

You will speak for your people

You will fight for your people

You will die for your people

But until then

You shall sit

Sit and wait.

Sit still, sit quietly, sit obediently.

Sit until you forget the feeling of your legs touching the ground.

Until you forget the purpose of your misery.

Until you forget why you listen to droning lessons.

Why satisfy those undeserving?

Why wait for the world to recognize you?

Why wait to recognize the world?

Stand and wait.

Stand stiff, stand strong, stand uselessly.

Stand because you have a duty to the world.

A duty to the people without power.

A duty to the land without strength.

A duty to the government without purpose.

Without you, they fall.

Without you, they disappear.

But until then, you shall sit.

 

(Qur'an, 2:286). لَا يُكَلِّفُ اللَّهُ نَفْسًا إِلَّا وُسْعَهَا

"God does not burden a soul with more than it can handle"

 

You would not have been given shoulders

If you couldn’t handle

The weight of the world

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scout on Maturity/Broken Glass

  On the other side of the glass, I see the perfect version of myself. She walks with a skip in her step, and nothing about herself keeps her up at night or down in the morning. Everyone she knows loves her, and she finds a way to love them back. She has everything, she is everything, and her confidence is unwavering. The days behind the glass are long because they’re spent clawing at myself until I bleed. Why can’t you feel like them, love them like them, be loved like them? I hate when my reflection is too clear, when those eyes look as if they’ve rejected the idea of happiness. The glass breaks. At the shift of my image, I get angry with myself. You, in all your light and life and experience, sit here digging holes through yourself because you don’t fit a perfect mold? You sit here hating the color of your skin, your eyes, your hair, your body, your face, when you have everything to be grateful for? The wall shatters onto me, destroying the person that I ruthlessly despised, a...

Scout on Disconnect/Letters

  I wrote you a letter, but you never responded. I guess I could summarize it here, but you might not be able to get the original sentiment. It’s more of the fact that I can’t remember exactly how I felt when I wrote it, or what I felt that entire year, to be honest. I know who was there and, most importantly, who wasn’t, and that I was absent, at least mentally. Sometimes I look back and wonder what would have happened if I weren’t me, if I did things like all the people around me, who everyone says are more reasonable and level-headed. The truth is that I’m sorry about how I treated you. You never deserved to be ignored or taken for granted, but I can’t say that you didn’t set it up for yourself. Watching those people trample you and waiting so long to leave, it was as if you thought you couldn’t do better. Maybe you couldn’t, and maybe you still can’t, but there has to be more out there. If you weren’t so angry and rash all the time, then- no, I didn’t mean that, not completely....

Scout on Flowers/Smooth Blues

  A man in a stiff black suit holding flowers and cheap chocolates walks into a well-lit dining room with untouched plate ware, chandeliers, and landscape paintings. A dull, empty vase and a cold rack of ribs sit on the table by a sad yet otherworldly beautiful woman. Her red lipstick is stained on a wine glass, with the evidence of an empty champagne by her side. Their eyes meet as he places the bouquet into the vase and the chocolates beside. He walks off down the long, dark hall, and the woman grabs the flowers. A thorn cuts her finger, and she calmly wipes the blood on the pristine white tablecloth. Tears drip down her unmoving face as she grabs the rack of ribs and walks off into the dark kitchen behind her. A single petal falls from one of the roses. The hallway in front of the dining room lights up as the television plays a sultry romantic comedy, drowning the woman’s hysterical crying. The sun rises, and the house is unchanged except for many fallen petals. The woman, in a ...